Friday, April 15, 2011

Light Switch Face Plates

This particular post is for my mom.  I will be coming to see her in a couple of weeks and I decided to do something for her.  She is always trying to take care of me, even though I live six hours away and am all grown up. Then I thought of something.  She LOVES unique light switch face plates. Why have a boring white one, when you can have a cool design or picture? She has them all over the house and even changes certain ones for holidays. I noticed the ones in her bathroom were old and the design was fading off.  So I figured I would make her new ones. Since this post is before I even told her, we'll see if she notices.



I started out with face plates I got at a hardware store for about $2.50. Then I choose some tissue paper that I liked.  You can really use just about anything.  Magazines, pictures, newspaper, maps,...really anything that is paper. If my mom likes this, I may try more with different things.



Then I covered the face plates with Mod Podge.  Then I started applying the tissue paper in the design I wanted.  I chose more of a mosaic style of design. I let them dry.


Then I flipped them over and added Mod Podge to all the pieces that needed to be folded over the edges and let that dry. 


Then I applied Mod Podge to the whole thing and let it dry. 


Then I was done!


Now you can put these up in whatever room you want.  You can match them to whatever design you have in any room.  You can add pictures of your family.  You can make them interchangeable depending upon the seasons.  The possibilities are endless.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Looks so good! Great minds think alike, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Love the look of the different colored tissue paper! Reminds me of camo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I love that you did it with tissue paper...so neat...like artwork! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are pretty. ^_^ Great job!

    ReplyDelete