Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How To Clean a Stove Top Grease Trap

There is nothing I hate more than cleaning a stove top grease trap. I used to wrap them in aluminum foil, but I hate they way it looks. They always get covered in baked on grease that is so hard to get off. I have tried special cleaners and scrubbing.  They still look awful. 


Then I found a way to make them much easier to clean. In fact, they look almost new. Just look at the difference!


If you have never cleaned these before, you simply make sure the stove is off and cool and pull out the burner. 


Then you just pop off the grease trap. 


Remember when I posted that post about baking soda? In it I used baking soda in my microwave to help loosen the grease.  I decided to use the same concept. Add baking soda and water to a pan with the grease trap and turn it on high.


Let it boil.  Flip it over and make sure you get the whole thing. 


Once it has boiled for a few minutes, take it out being careful not to burn yourself. Now you want to scrub it using steel wool.  It shouldn't take too long to be cool enough to touch. 


You don't have to scrub too hard.  If you do, put it back in the pot.  Soon it will loosen. Look at the result!


Now your stove top looks much much better. 

9 comments:

  1. Totally great idea, I totally need to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Cleaning up is the least enjoyable part of cooking for most people. However, to keep your kitchen sanitary and protect your stove and cookware, you need to remove all the spills, splatter and grease that remain from cooking your favourite meals. Thanks a lot......

    Restaurant Work Tables

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grease traps really are awful to clean. All those oily things are stuck has this smell that is just as awful. I think you’ll just have to add baking soda and wipe it hot water and soap. It’s the same process, but you don't have to boil the whole grease trap and worry about getting burnt. It is just a suggestion, but still great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was preparing to toss my traps and start anew, because they were so bad and I just couldn't scrub hard enough to get them clean. I've even scrubbed with baking soda! I tried your suggestion, and wow! I basically wiped the gunk off after boiling the trap, only scrubing one small section. They look fantastic! Thank you! (Lia)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really work...thank you for the tip....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! It really works! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grease Traps are a part of the kitchen system that captures fat, oil and grease (FOG) from the waste water flow. The FOG is stored in the trap, which is actually a tank, ranging from 10 gallons to 1,000 gallons or more depending on local plumbing code requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really keep informed on this topic, every time I read your articles I feel contented with the information that is informative as well as useful, keep going.

    greasepak

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this. I have been wondering how to successfully clean a grease trap. I feel like they can be so hard to clean! Those after pictures look amazing though!
    Gary Puntman | http://www.ableliquidwaste.com.au

    ReplyDelete